Nutritional information does not include frosting.
Macros for 1 slice with frosting is:
- 310 Calories
- 8 grams NET Carbs (12 grams TOTAL Carbs – 4 grams Fiber)
- 6 grams Protein
- 31 grams Fat
- 1 gram Sugar
FOR THE BUTTERCREAM:
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk , room temperature
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups super-fine blanched almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened high-quality cocoa powder , (can also use cacao powder if preferred)
- 1/4 teaspoon espresso powder , optional but highly recommended for extra richness – can also try to sub with unsweetened dark cocao powder or cacao powder if preferred
- 2/3 cup powdered monk fruit sweetener , sifted (or your favorite confectioners’ style sweetener)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 4 large eggs , room temperature, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil , can also use melted grass-fed butter
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup grass-fed unsalted butter OR ghee, softened
- 3 cups powdered monk fruit sweetener , sifted (or your favorite confectioners’ style sweetener)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened high quality cocoa powder , sifted
- 2/3 teaspoons pure vanilla bean paste or 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk , plus more as needed to thin out frosting to desired consistency
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
InstructionsFOR THE CAKE:
Preheat your oven to 350 F degrees. Lightly coat two 8-inch round cake pans or three 6-inch cake pans with nonstick baking spray and line the bottom with parchment paper rounds. Set aside.
Add almond milk and apple cider vinegar to a large measuring cup. Set aside and allow to sit (and curdle) for 5 minutes while you mix the other ingredients.
Meanwhile, in a separate large mixing bowl, add the almond flour, coconut flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, sweetener, baking powder, baking soda and salt and whisk to combine.
Add the beaten eggs, coconut oil, and vanilla extract. Pour in the curdled milk and mix until thoroughly combined.
Divide the batter evenly between the two baking pans and bake in preheated oven for 18-25 minutes (rotating pan halfway through), or until a toothpick comes out clean. Do NOT overbake – the time will vary depending on your oven.
Allow the cakes to cool completely in the pan (or at least 30 minutes) before removing from the pan or it may (will) fall apart. Remove the parchment paper liner. Cool completely before frosting.FOR THE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:
TO ASSEMBLE THE CAKE:
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment or a hand mixer on medium speed, beat the butter (or ghee) until light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes.
Switch the mixer to low then slowly add the powdered sweetener, followed by the cocoa powder. Continue mixing on low until combined. Add the vanilla, milk and salt and increase the speed to medium and beat until fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
Once the cake has completely cooled, assemble the cake by placing the bottom layer on a cake platter or cake stand. Spread a thin layer of chocolate buttercream frosting then add the top layer. Add the remainder of the frosting on the top and sides and decorate as desired with fresh berries.
Cake will keep 3-5 days in refrigerator.